Hey Everyone, If you like aubergines try this simple healthy swap from a conventional burger bun to make these veggies burgers even healthier. I find the aubergine goes so well with the broccoli and chickpea. I love having these burgers with green pesto,natural yogurt, avocado and rocket. BTW if you love mayo in your burgers like me, try swapping this out for natural yogurt for a super delicious healthier alternative. Wanting to reduce your food waste? Keep the broccoli stalk and create super delicious broccoli chips to go on the side! Come back next Friday to find a recipe on how to make broccoli chips from the stalk.
Serves: 7-8 medium sized burgers Time: 40 mins
Ingredients for Burger:
I tlb’s oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 medium broccoli head, chopped into small chunks
1 15oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup oat flour
1/4 cup plain flour
3 tlbs nutritional yeast
Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients for Burger Bun:
1 Aubergine, sliced into 1 inch thick circles
1 tlb’s oil
1/2 tsp salt
Pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tbl’s oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion to pan and
sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding a few tablespoons of water if the onion looks as if it may burn.
- Next add broccoli and garlic and sauté until broccoli begins to get soft, adding small quantities of water as required to prevent onion or garlic from burning. This should take approx. 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place chickpeas, oat four, plain flour, nutritional yeast, egg, salt and
pepper into food processor. Add in vegetable mixture and pulse until combined stopping at stages to scrap ingredients from side of food processor. Do not over pulse as mixture can become too mushy to make burgers. The mixture should still be textured.
- Use your hands to create a burger shape out of mixture.
- Heat 1 tlbs oil in a pan over medium heat. Add as many burgers onto
pan as fits (I usually cook 3 at a time). Cook for approx. 3 minutes on
either side or until browned. When you turn the burgers onto second side pat them down.
- While the burgers are cooking coat aubergine in oil, salt and pepper
and fry over medium heat, turning occasionally until soft and
- Once aubergine and burgers are cooked combine with favourite